There hasn’t been a new episode of Star Trek on Television for over 10 years. The last feature film came out 3 years ago. So, you’d think that this would be pretty quiet time in the franchise. But actually, we’re gearing up for the 50th anniversary next year and there’s a lot to be excited about right now. I thought I’d take a minute to break it down for you. Here is a list of what I am most excited about!
We are 1 year away from Paramount’s feature film Star Trek Beyond which is slated to premier July 8, 2016. I’m not sure Pegg has finished writing the script, but I know that they start filming pretty soon. Zachary Quinto tweeted this picture on June 20th– clearly he’s getting into Spock mode!
- There’s some great Trek podcasts out there right now! I recently blogged about my love for podcasts and have since discovered a new obsession: Women at Warp. Go check them out! Just listening to podcasts alone can take up a lot of my spare time. 🙂
- Comic Book publisher, IDW has done some great things with Star Trek since they obtained the publishing rights in 2006. They’ve recently published: Star Trek #48 Five Year Mission: Deity Part 1, Star Trek / Green Lantern #2, and Star Trek / Planet of the Apes : The Prime Directive, just to name a few.
- Of course there are always new Star Trek novels being released. For example, Dave Galanter’s TOS novel Crisis of Consciousness came out in May.
- There’s A LOT going on in the world of Star Trek fan films right now! Here’s a quick breakdown of the top 3 I’m watching:
- I’ve been a fan of James Cawley’s series for years and he keeps raising the bar higher and higher.
- They released their 9th episode “Mind Sifter” on December 1, 2014.
- They are planning to release their 10th episode “The Holiest Thing” soon.
- They are building new sets including McCoy’s sick-bay!
- They have a kickstarter campaign going to help raise money for those sets and to fund future episodes.
- Vic Mignogna’s series has been an instant hit with fans, myself included. He and his team do a perfect job of capturing the magic of TOS.
- They released their 4th episode “White Iris” on May 29, 2015 and it’s being very well received!
- They too are building new sets including Scotty’s engineering deck!
- This is an extremely exciting project. You MUST check out their 20 minute proof of concept film: “Prelude to Axanar“.
- They getting ready to start filming. I’m not sure they’ve set an exact release date.
- They are building sets including the bridge of the USS Aries.
- You can keep track of their process by reading Alec Peters’s daily Captain’s Blog.